Eastern State Hospital has been continually operated by the Commonwealth since the 1820's and moved to its new $129 million LEED Silver Certification facility in September of 2013.
A land swap was brokered in 2008 between the University of Kentucky, Bluegrass Community and Technical College, the City of Lexington and the state. The University of Kentucky provided the 30-acre site on which the new hospital was constructed. Bluegrass Community and Technical College took over the 48-acre former Eastern State Hospital grounds and built new classroom buildings.
The financing for Eastern State was achieved over a series of notes and lease revenue bond issues by the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government Public Facilities Corporation.