About

Project

Kentucky Capitol Annex

View all

Project

The Capitol Annex currently houses Legislative and Administrative offices, including the Office of Financial Management. It was financed with an appropriation from the General Assembly in 1946, and proceeds of the 1950 inaugural issue of the State Property and Buildings Commission, Project No. 1.

Located across from the south lawn of the Capitol, it is styled with a limestone façade, brick terrace, and balustrades mimicking the Capitol building.  The Annex was originally intended to serve as a judiciary building, but with the addition of bond proceeds, it was possible to fund the construction of a more substantial office structure. Construction began in 1950, and the building was fully occupied by September 1952.